Standard Norms for Exams
Qualification Grades for Competitors (chi, dan)
and Standards for their Execution
Student Grades – CHI (levels)
Black colour sash: The length of Wing Chun study required is at least three months.
I. Stance: sand-glass timer’
- direct fist punch,
- chain punches,
- direct palm punch (CING CHEUN) ,
- strike with the base of the palm (DAN CHAK CHEUN),
- lower strike with the base of the palm (DAI CHEUN),
- front lower strike with the palm (GUM SAO),
- chopping hand technique (FACK SAO).
- hand spinning technique (HUING SAO),
- block using the upturned palm technique (TAN SAO),
- defence using the sharp edge of the hand technique (WU SAO),
- block using the wrist technique (FOCK SAO),
- block using the forearm technique (JIM SAO),
- diverting block using the base of the hand (PAK SAO),
- lower block by the forearm (KAN SAO),
- axis block by the hand (BONG SAO),
- lifting hands technique (TAI SAO),
- upper strike using the base of the hand (TOK SAO),
- hands work against capture technique (TUT SAO).
IV. Yun Chun Quan (Wing Chun) history test.
Brown colour sash: The length of Wing Chun study required is at least one year.
Basic learning techniques demonstration:
I. Siu Nim Tao (Sil Lim Tao).
II. Combinations: block-strike (Defence with all of the attacking actions from the Sil Lim Tao form. Then these blocks are carried out consecutively: one-handed block-strike; simultaneous block-strike, i.e. one handed block followed by another hand strike).
III. Control of the Centre Line. Steady balance.
IV. Main principles of Yun Chun Quan (Wing Chun).
Blue colour sash: The length of Wing Chun study required is at least 2 years.
Learning program technique demonstration:
I. Siu Nim Tao №2 form (Vietnam)
II. Mei Hua Bo’ or Chum Kiu’ form
III. Pair form 108 (50%)
IV. TANDA-GANDA defence of the four corners with a simultaneous attack.
V. Foot work (BO FAT)
- side stance
- blocks by feet (TAN GIR and BONG GIR)
VII. Pairs’ formal exercises (LAP SAO) – at least 5 types.
VIII. One hand formal chi-sao (CHI-SAO) – at least 5 types.
IX. The history of the development of Wing Chun in Russia
Red colour sash: The length of Wing Chun study required is at least three years.
I. Siu Nim Tao №3 form.
II. Form sequences: Tiger’, Snake’, Leopard’, Crane’, Dragon’ or Biu Chi’.
III. 108 Pair form.
IV. Double-hand chi-sao (grappling).
V. Free-style foot work.
- Ankle trips.
VI. Elbow strikes. At least ten combinations (three to four moves each) with one opponent.
VII. Yun Chun Quan (Wing Chun) history – main philosophical principles.
Yellow colour sash: The length of Wing Chun study required is at least 4 years.
I. Competition program by Yun Chun Quan
II. Participation in competitions not lower than regional or city Championships (including style competitions).
III. Demonstration of forms:
- 108 forms on the wooden dummy
- 108 forms (with transfers)
- Five animals’
- Demonstration of at least ten combinations (three to four moves each) with one opponent.
IV. Technique of thrusting off opponent’s hands and freeing your own.
V. Free hands work with a partner. At least 10 combinations, with two opponents.
White colour sash: The length of Wing Chun study required is at least four and a half years:
Demonstration of Yun Chun Quan technique applications:
I. In a sports bout – Duilyan (with or without weapons)
II. Qinna technique demonstration (capture and holding) using any Wing Chun style – at least ten combinations.
III. Participation in competitions of not lower then zone-championships of Russia.
IV. Demonstration of forms:
- Butterfly knives’ (BAT CHAM DAO)
- long pole’
- flexible javelin’.
V. Application and use of butterfly knives against long pole or sword (Quan).
VI. Application and use of the long pole against two opponents.
VII. Work without weapons against a knife or long pole.
VIII. Free style combat with a partner in a duel.
Master Grades – dan
The length of Wing Chun study required is at least 5 years.
I. Demonstration of Siu Nim Tao Master form.
II. Free style work against two opponents.
III. Free style work against various other styles (boxing, Karate, Taekwando, etc.).
V. Submit theoretical thesis on Yun Chun Quan techniques (at least ten pages).
VI. Interview on moral and ethical standards.
VII. Demonstration of shuaitszyao (captures and throws) using any Yun Chun Quan style – at least ten combinations.
VIII. Demonstration of ingun technique (breaking objects): (not necessary for women) including the breaking of objects by the following techniques:
- Chuntsuan (floating board 30cm x 40cm x 30mm)
- Dinchzhou (fixed board 30cm x 40mm x 30mm)
- Dantui (floating board 30cm x 40cm x 30mm)
- Tsechuaitui (fixed board 30cm x 40mm x 40mm)
- Pitsuan (red building-brick in fixed position) – at least 80% successful breakings (three tries each).
IX. Breaking through an A-4 format sheet of paper, hanging freely by one edge.
X. Submit a theoretical piece on the history of any one of the Yun Chun Quan styles (free choice, at least 10 pages).
The length of Yun Chun Quan study is at least 6 years with the possession of 1 DAN.
I. Take at least a first place finish in an all-round-event at the zone-championships or at least 6th place in an all-round-event at the Russian Championships.
II. Dyansue technique demonstration (striking of weak points) – at least ten combinations.
III. Demonstration of ingun technique (breaking of objects): (not necessary for women) including breaking an object by the following techniques:
- Hetszuishou or Shuantuichzhi (floating board 30cm x 40cm x 20mm)
- Tuichzhan (fixed board 30cm x 40cm x 30mm)
- Houdentui (two fixed boards 30cm x 40cm x 30mm)
- Tenkuntsechuaitui (fixed board 30cm x 40cm x 30mm)
- Hendantui (floating board 30cm x 40cm x 30 mm) at least 80% of successful breakings with three attempts each.
IV. Submit theoretical piece on Yun Chun Quan philosophical origins (20 pages).
The length of Yun Chun Quan study is at least 6 years with the possession of 2 DAN.
I. Achieve at least a third place finish in an all-round-event at the Russian Championships or by passing the Master of Sports of International Grade Standards.
II. Demonstration of Yun Chun Quan techniques’ work in a free style duel (with protective outfit): 2 one-minute rounds with an opponent possessing at least 3 DAN.
III. Neigun and Qigong techniques demonstration – at least 10 exercises.
IV. Submit theoretical piece on Yun Chun Quan theory and teaching methods, at least 30 pages (any aspect).
Higher Master Degrees – dan
This is awarded only to those who have accomplished 3 Dan. Based on Performance standards of the Honoured Sports Masters and the Honoured Trainers of Russia. Also awarded for ones contribution to Yun Chun Quan and its development in Russia. Awarded by the All-Russia Yun Chun Quan Federation Presidium.
Each qualification degree (level) matches the following sash:
- Learner’s colours – chi:
- The colour white is for the Master Degrees – (called dan) with a number of yellow sashes (1cm wide) matching each respective degree. Starting from the first dan the sashes’ colour is gold.
Martynov Valeriy Vasilyevich
President of the All-Russia Yun Chun Quan (Wing Chun) Federation